Summer Production Manager
This is currently set as a salaried positon, but we are willing to work with an educational institution and structure it as a paid internship to the right candidate, please inquire if you are interested.
Overview: Seeking an individual to provide the physical and logistical support necessary for a 20-piece professional chamber orchestra during its six-week summer season. Required tasks include transporting of equipment to and from venues, setting up equipment for all rehearsals and performances and breaking that equipment down at the end of each rehearsal or performance. The person filling this position has to be available to report to the Music Director as needed during every rehearsal and performance, and be available to report to the Executive Director for production tasks which include support at non-performance events, distribution of materials to musicians, and communication with venue personnel about usage, parking and other logistical details.
Qualifications: This position requires a valid driver’s license, and the ability to drive a mid-sized production truck. The physical ability to lift and move heavy equipment including but not limited to large drums, stage shells, and sound system is needed. The preferred candidate will be experienced or eager to learn sound reinforcement techniques, including running a basic sound amplification system. Experience in music performance or production a plus but not required.
Schedule: Schedule will include up to 20 flexible hours of work from June 24-July 4 preparing for season, becoming familiar with equipment and procedures. Full time hours during performance season of July 5 through August 13 based on performance schedule. Generally Mon. & Tues. are days off with the workweek running from Wednesday to Sunday, however there may be instances of production tasks that need to be handled on Mon/Tues.. Up to 20 flexible hours post season is needed in post-production tasks placing equipment into storage, taking inventory and identifying items that need to be replaced/purchased for the next year. The position will be compensated at a contracted salary which will be disbursed at a pre-arranged schedule during the summer weeks. Salary will be divided evenly between payrolls on July 7, July 14, July 28 and August 11.
To apply please send a letter of interest, a resume or explanation of past employment or other relevant experience, and provide the names of up to three non-family references who can speak to your qualifications as an employee, student or volunteer.
Applications can be mailed to:
Executive Director, Lake Placid Sinfonietta, PO Box 1303, Lake Placid, NY 12946.
Or emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions please call 518-523-2051, we are happy to talk with you!
Production manager sample Job/Tasks
- Be present and immediately available to the Music Director, Executive Director and Musicians during all rehearsals.
- Set up equipment prior to each rehearsal after coordinating rehearsal needs with Music Director.
- After each rehearsal put all equipment away or arrange for on-site storage.
- Communicate with Music Director prior to the dress rehearsal about program order, soloists, other needs.
- Set up stage/venue for all concerts, and at the end of put all equipment away.
- Ensure that Program Books are available to ushers, and ‘left-overs’ returned to storage after concert.
- Be immediately available to Musicians, Music Director and Venue Tech staff at all times during performances. In most instances this will mean remaining back-stage during the entire performance.
- Transport equipment to and from sites away from the LPCA.
- Report to percussionist regarding schedule of set up time to ensure preparedness for all concerts.
- Run and monitor sound system during outdoor performances.
- Supervise a stage hand in conjunction with Executive Director for some concerts.
- Become familiar with personnel, and procedures at all venues.
The Lake Placid Sinfonietta always welcomes individuals who are interested in helping the organization through structured internships or volunteerism. Tasks currently being accomplished by volunteers include working in our music library, preparation of mailings to our supporters, distribution of promotional material, general office work, ushering at concerts, and planning and carrying out events. We are actively looking for volunteers to assist with keeping this website updated, producing Email Newsletters, and entering event information in community calendars. We are very willing to work with college level intership supervisors to provide any documentation that is necessary for crediting. If you have a skill you would like to share, or an idea you would like to work on, please contact us and we will be happy to talk to you!